Explore More Acne Topics:
- Cystic Acne Causes
- Nodular Acne Treatment
- Adult Acne Causes
- Five biggest Acne Treatment Mistakes
- Best solutions for Acne
- Vitamins essential for Acne Remedy
- Detoxify body to get rid of Acne
- Ten Exciting steps to Prevent Acne
- Home remedies for Acne
Essential Facts About Acne:
- The much terrible cases of acne tend to take place most often in men, because they produce more of the male hormones that provoke acne formation.
- In majority of people, acne will last for about three to four years and in 15% of the cases, acne can extend for eight-12 years.
- Women with a lot of body or facial hair, and women who have irregular periods, may be at increased risk of acne. These women may want to have their hormone levels evaluated by a physician.
- In women especially, acne may not occur until age 25.
- In a smaller percentage (5%), acne will last beyond age 25 and can continue up to age 40.
- In almost 70% of the cases, women will note a flare-up in the acne condition preceding their menstrual period, possibly due to an increase of androgens. Androgens are steroid hormones responsible for the development and maintenance of male physical characteristics.
Some important facts to know about Acne:
- Excessive washing is not the solution - Acne cannot be got rid of by repeatedly washing the skin. While it is good hygiene to keep the face clean, excessive washing can dry your skin.
- Popping pimples makes things worse - Keep off from picking or squeezing a pimple. Although it might be tempting to do so, it can make things worse by leaving a scar or causing more inflammation.
- Sunlight is known to help, but in moderation- You may find that sunlight seems to help reduce acne. This might be true because the UV light in the sun’s rays may reduce the acne bacteria and their by-products that cause the inflammation. But sunlight can also enhance the number of whiteheads in some people. Also, overexposure to the sun may increase your risk of skin cancer.
- Acne normally occurs in people during their teen and young adult years.
- More severe acne conditions involve oral antibiotics or a synthetic (made from chemicals) vitamin A (essential for growth of healthy skin).
- Acne is a skin condition stimulated by overactive oil glands.
- Early treatment of acne has a high success rate.
- High production of male hormones stimulate overproduction of oil.
- Topical creams of benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, or retinoids are effective treatments for acne.
- Whiteheads, blackheads and cysts will occur from pore blockage.
- Skin bacteria can contribute to the problem by reacting with the oil.